For the second night of Channukah, we will feature the Harvard College QSA (Queer Straight Alliance).
In recent news, read Friday's Crimson editorial about the need for more LGBTQ resources at Harvard.
Facts about queer life in America:
- Over 12,500 LGBT service members have been discharged from the U.S. military since the "don't ask, don't tell" policy was enacted in 1994.
- Gay and lesbian youth are two to three times more likely to commit suicide than other youths. 30% of all completed youth suicides are related to the issue of sexual identity.
- Recognition of same-sex marriage is prohibited under federal law. This denies same-sex couples 1,000 federal protections and responsibilities granted to heterosexual couples.
- 45% of gay males and 20% of lesbians experience verbal harassment and/or physical violence during high school as a result of their sexual orientation
- 83% of Americans believe that gay people should have equal rights in employment and public accommodations. This is up from just 56% in 1977.
- In just the last two years, more openly LGBT government officials have been appointed than in the history of the United States.